Meet Independent Derry our 3rd Graduate Programme Winner
Jemma and her business Independent Derry have created a platform for showcasing unique & independent businesses of Derry and encouraging people to #supportlocal. Jemma has such passion and belief in what she is doing that we had to offer her space here and become part of our #creativehub
Independent Derry supports independent and unique businesses within Derry/L'Derry and they do this by and Independent Derry card, this card enables customers to receive offers and discounts in 50 independent businesses around the city, encouraging the people of Derry and visitors to the city to shop locally.
We spoke to founder and CEO, Jemma Duffy, about her and her business.
Tell me about your business in one sentence?
- Independent Derry is an initiative that encourages people to support local businesses & allows customers to receive discounts & offers using their Independent Derry Card.
How do you define success?
- Success for me is achieving something that you set out to do that may be considered as a challenge and continue to stick at it, achieve it and take it further where possible.
What is the best advice you’ve been given?
- A piece of advice that has always stuck with me was to remember that having one bad day in business doesn’t necessarily mean it is a reflection of you or your business. There are actually more good days than bad, and you learn from ones that aren’t so good!
Why have you chosen to become part of Eighty81 Creative Workspace?
- Eighty81 provides the opportunity to meet other professionals / like minded people who have also started a business journey. Another factor for me was the actual space itself, it’s nice to work in a fresh modern environment rather than working from home.
Top 3 songs to listen to when you need to get work done?
- Sundara Karma - Happy Family
- Two Door Cinema Club - Bad Decisions
- Catfish and the Bottlemen - Twice
An App you can’t live without?
- I can’t live without Snapchat, only because I use it to take all my photographs for Independent Derry. I’m constantly taking photos of the city and the businesses for social media.
Best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten?
- Slow and steady wins the race.
When’s the last time you celebrated a win?
- Probably when I reached 50 businesses on the Independent Derry Card, I felt proud to have reached the number 50 after starting with only 13 businesses when the card was first launched.
Thanks Jemma for your time. If you want to #supportlocal then why not get click on Independent Derry website and buy a discount card - only £10 and it last a year!!